Unique Experience, Extraordinary Results

Florida homeowners: know your legal options after serious storms

On Behalf of | Sep 1, 2015 | Bad Faith Insurance Claims

Property owners all across Florida are assessing the damage done to their homes and other buildings in the wake of Tropical Storm Erika. While the storm did not reach hurricane status as some had predicted, it did end up causing significant flood and wind damage. 

Even if you took all the precautions you could to protect your home, you may still be dealing with considerable damage. In many cases, people in this situation will file a claim with their insurance company and have the damage repaired. However, this process doesn’t always go as smoothly as people expect.

To begin with, you may find that your policy did not provide adequate coverage and suddenly you find yourself financially responsible for considerable expenses to repair your home. In some cases, people learn that even though they purchased certain policies, they were not yet in effect at the time the damage was done.

There have also been cases of insurance companies wrongfully denying payments because they argue that damage assessed was not the result of strong winds or storms. 

It can also be possible for people to discover that their payouts are much less than they expected and they may not even be enough to repair the damage. This can be the result of some shady and potentially unlawful practices by an insurance company that purposely undervalued the damages resulting in underpayment.

Strong winds and rain can do extensive damage to homes all across Florida and this is what many homeowners are dealing with after Tropical Storm Erika. If you are in this situation, the last thing you want to deal with in the aftermath of a serious storm is a run-around from your insurance company claiming you are not fully covered.

Thankfully, you do not have to face this situation alone. If you have questions or concerns about how your insurance company is handling your flood or windstorm claim, you can consult an attorney who can help you understand your options and your rights.